Xativa Football Club
Football in Xativa can be traced back to 1924 when a number of clubs from the
city played in the Valenciana Regional League. The current CD Olimpic Xativa
were formed in 1932, and from that date have been the main representative of the
city. During the Spanish Civil War, the club played in many regional
competitions and won promotion to the Tercera División in 1944. They lasted one
season, but returned in 1946 and were close to promotion on a number of
occasions. They resigned from the Tercera in 1951 due to financial pressures but
regained their status in 1955.
Olimpics stadium is Campo de Futbol La Murta with capacity of 9,000, 2,000 of
which are seats. The site has been a football field since the late 1920s or
early 1930s and is the only home ground Olimpic have used. Until 1960, the
ground was very basic, consisting of a simple uncovered tribune on the east side
of the ground and a single step around the pitch. In season 1960/61, leading
player Richart was transferred to Sporting de Gijón and it is said that this
money was used to build the popular terrace at the north end of the ground.
Simple improvements to the terracing occurred during the 1980s, but the next
major improvement was the building of a new covered main stand in 2000. Plastic
seats and an electronic scoreboard were added in 2002 and artificial turf was
installed in October 2005.
Fixtures are usually played on Sunday afternoons and the stadium is located on Calle Académico Maravall and Avenida de la Murta. Kick off is usually at 4 or 5 pm but the aforementioned posters around town will have more information.