The tower dates back to the end of the 14th century and was initially built as a watchtower and a stronghold to protect the city from pirates and bandits.
The people of Alcalalí and Vall de Pop were victims of attacks by pirates and bandits who came to this land by the mountain “Coll de Rates”. A late fourteenth and early fifteenth century Mosen Pedro de Castellvi, ruler of Alcalali and Jalon, and his wife Yolanda Pardo, sent build a tower on the hill of Alcalalí: their functions were the surveillance and last refuge in case of invasion.
Later, in 1599, Don Ruiz de Lihory Eiximen and Pertusa bought Alcalalí with all the rights granted and built a palatial residence, connected to the medieval tower by a drawbridge. The Ruiz family of Lihory Alcalalí ruled until 1837, date in which, by order of Queen Maria Cristina, the stately regimes were abolished.
During the following years, both the tower and the palace passed into the hands of various private owners, being in 1900 when the Palace and the Tower become private homes . Two years later the Medieval Tower was acquired by the City of Alcalalí.
In 1995, with the help of the Provincial Council of Alicante, it proceeded to completely restore the tower and a lift was placed . The work on the top floor was to fix an iron and glass structure that allowed restore the function of viewpoint: can now be seen magnificent views of the Vall de Pop.
Throughout time the building has been given different purposes, and at some point a drawbridge connected the Torre to the old palace of Ruiz de Lihori, which stood next to the tower. It has also been used to store grain, and it served as a house and even as a prison.
The original structure of the tower, which still exists, was divided into five levels:
• Ground floor: Jail and later, store goods
• First floor: Hall of Lords
• Second floor: bedroom lords
• Third floor: Accommodation for servants and defenders
• Fourth floor: Platform vigía
The most striking of the Medieval Tower are the graffiti and engravings found in the second and third floor: were made between the sixteenth, seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, and allow us to know more deeply the habits and customs of the people who lived the old Alcalalí.