/* ]]> */

Passports and Visas in Spain


Passports Visa Customs in Spain


Citizens of European Union states and Switzerland may use a passport or a national identity card to enter Spain. All other nationalities must carry a passport and citizens of some countries will not be granted entry to Spain if their passport expires in less than six months from the date of entry.

Passport Renewal

If you need to renew your passports, you have two options at varying costs:

Go to your local Consular Agent: or to the main Consular office in Alicante (it is situated above the Farmecia in the Square opposite Cortes Engles). English and several languages are spoken. you must take 4 passport sized photographs, show your current passport and they will supply you with an application form which must be completed in his presence and then countersigned and officially stamped by him. The forms are then sent together with your old passport and renewal fee (approx €91 per person) to the Madrid address named on the application form. If you do this yourself it is advisable to register the letter at the Correos)

When in England go to any Post Office and obtain Passport Renewal forms, complete as described on the forms and give them over the counter together with two photographs, your old passport and £33 they will post the new passport to your stated address. (You have the option to pay an additional £5 when they will check that the form has been filled in correctly and guarantee to return the new passport within one week)



Visas are not required by nationals of the following countries: Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, The Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, San Marino and Switzerland

For stays of less than 90 days Visas are not required by Nationals of the following countries:

Citizens of the U.S.A., Canada, Japan, South Korea, Australia and New Zealand, Anguilla, Argentina, Bermuda, Bolivia, Brazil, British Virgin Islands, Brunei, Bulgaria, Cayman Isles, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, El Salvador, Estonia, Falkland Islands, Guatemala, Honduras,
Hong Kong (SAR), Hungary, Israel, Korea (Rep), Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Macau (SAR), Malaysia, Malta, Mexico, Monaco, Montserrat, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Poland, Romania, St Helena, San Marino, Singapore, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Turks & Caicos, Uruguay, Vatican City and Venezuela.

For all other nations, or if you are from U.S.A., Canada, Japan, South Korea, Australia and New Zealand and you wish to stay longer than 90 days you must obtain a visa from your local Spanish Consular Office. Spain is a
signatory of the Schengen Agreement. The Schengen visa is issued for tourist, business and private visits and the cost varies according to the duration of the visa. Check on entrance requirements at your nearest embassy or consulate of Spain for up-to-date info before departure before you book your tickets.

Please note also that all travellers that intend to stay for more than 90 days registration with the local police is compulsory.


Driving documents

As well as having to carry your International Driving Permit or drivers licence, all drivers from non-EU countries, except Switzerland, must hold a Green Card with the insurance policy. This is always included when renting a car in a legal car rental company. Check with your motor vehicle insurance company regarding any documents you will need and whether additional insurance is required.


Border Customs / Duty Free limits

Duty-free allowances have been abolished within the EU. Travellers entering Spain from any EU country may take in the following generous quantities of alcohol and tobacco:
200 cigars
3,200 cigarettes
400 cigarillos
10 litres of spirits
110 litres of beer
20 litres of fortified wine and/or 90 litres of wine

However, given that Spain is one of the cheapest EU countries for both alcohol and tobacco, it is hardly worth bothering.

You can buy VAT-free articles at airport shops when travelling between EU countries.


Pets and animal Visa and Passort Controls

Pets may be brought with you as long as you have a bilingual Health Certificate for the animal signed by an officially recognised vet from the country of origin, which indicates the dates of the last vaccines and, in particular, that of an anti-rabies shot.